How to Make a Fold-Out Flower Boxcomments (9) October 1st, 2008
In this design from Debra Corson, a simple paper gift box becomes the actual gift. The method is easy and can be personalized into a meaningful token of your appreciation. Start by making the basic gift box from CraftStylish Gifts to Make, Vol. 2. Then, make an accordion fold-out, decorate the pages with personal items like photos or meaningful quotes, and then attach the pages to the basic box. Flowers are a great way to accent the accordion pages in your gift, but you can also use them as a lid decoration for any box you make.
What you’ll need:
- Bone folder (paper-source.com)
- Canson papers (Canson-Us.com)
- Colored pencils
- Craft or X-Acto knife
- Cutting surface
- Scrapbook paper
- White glue
- Embossing tool (optional)
1. Start by creating a gift box. Decorate the lid in any way you choose. Then, cut a strip of paper that is 3-7/8 inches wide by 25 inches long. To make the accordion-style pages, fold this strip in half widthwise and then work from the middle outward in both directions, alternately folding back and forth every 3-7/8 inches. You should have 12 pages (counting front and back) that are 3-7/8 inches square plus a tab at each end that is 1 inch wide. This will be used later to glue into the top and bottom of the box.
2. Next, make the flowers. Download the pattern to make them. Using Canson paper, trace and cut two flowers using pattern “A” in one color and two flowers using pattern “B” in another color. Use the embossing tool to mark folds where indicated on the patterns by pressing on the paper. Fold each line and crease. Use the point of a colored pencil to draw the flower center. To create the pop-up flower shown, take both “A” flowers and fold in half again, creasing the fold so that the lower forms a right angle. Join them so that half of each is back to back, and glue them together. Refold each “B” flower and glue inside each “A” flower. Follow the directions to add flowers to the accordion pages or glue the flowers in the center of a box lid.
3. To make the leaves, cut out 10 to 12 leaves using the pattern or just draw your own. Write short quotes or good wishes on each leaf or print them on colored paper before cutting out your leaves if you’d rather not handwrite them. Then, use the embossing tool to make the center vein and a few going off each side by pressing down to imprint the paper. Use the sides of a colored pencil to add color and make the veins appear.
4. Glue the flowers into each page fold. Make sure you dab the glue toward the center so that leaves can be inserted easily. Glue a single-folded flower in first, with a trifolded flower on top. Check to be sure that the flowers pop up as the accordion page is unfolded. Once all of the flowers are glued, insert the leaves just behind them with a drop of glue.
5. To attach the accordion to the bottom of the box, unfold one side of the base. Bend the tab on the accordion back in the other direction. Insert the tab under the box side, push the box side back in place, and make sure the pages fold up neatly. Then reopen the accordion and glue it in place. Repeat with the lid, making sure that the pages fold into the box cover before gluing.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery
Dare to Make It! Holiday
We dare you to make your own gifts and decorations this holiday season!
Find inspiration and exciting how-to projects to get you through the holiday season in DIY style.