Accent Your Home DÃƒÂ©cor with Ribbons!comments (5) October 23rd, 2008
A few woven pink ribbons make an ordinary boudoir pillow look extraordinary. Experiment with different colors and types of ribbons. I love grosgrain ribbons because they are a little preppy (I can't help it, I'm from Connecticut), but velvet ribbons or silk ribbons look fantastic on a pillow, too.
You can tailor this project to work with any décor or color story.
What you'll need:
- 12-inch x 16-inch boudoir pillow form
- 1/4 yard natural-colored linen or cotton
- 1/4 yard complementary cotton print fabric
- Scraps of grosgrain ribbon that are at least 17 inches long
- Fabric scissors
- Cutting mat
- Quilting ruler
- Magna-tac fabric glue
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
1. Prewash all of your fabrics and press.
2. Cut one 13-inch x 17-inch piece from linen. Cut two 10-inch x 17-inch pieces from the complementary cotton print.
Embellishing the Pillow
1. Lay the linen piece face up on a cutting mat. This will be the front of the pillow. Square up the linen piece with the mat so that the pillow front is lying straight on the mat.
2. Cut three 13-inch and three 17-inch pieces of grosgrain ribbon.
3. First you will add ribbons from the top to the bottom of the pillow front. We are going to call this the warp. Starting on the right side, lay one piece of 13-inch ribbon 1-1/2 inches from the right side of the pillow front. Lay the next ribbon 1/2 inch to the left and the next ribbon about 1/4 inch to the left of that ribbon. Using a quilting ruler, make sure each piece is straight, then pin at both ends.
3. Next, you will add the ribbons to the left to right side of the pillow. We are going to call this the weft, and we are going to weave them through the warp ribbons. Lay one piece of 17-inch ribbon (running from left to right) 2-1/2 inches from the bottom side and pin just on the left end. To weave from left to right, bring the weft ribbon under the first warp ribbon, over the middle, and under the last. Pin.
4. Lay the next piece of ribbon 1/4 inch above the first ribbon and pin on the left end. To weave from left to right, bring the weft ribbon over the first ribbon, under the middle ribbon, and over the last. Pin.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery