How to Make Felt Napkin Rings for Your Holiday Tablecomments (4) November 6th, 2008
Store-bought napkin rings aren't that special and they can get expensive, especially if you're hosting a crowd this holiday. Stitch up a pile of these cute napkin rings on a weekend afternoon or on a cold November night. They add a touch of the handmade to any table!
What you'll need for eight napkin rings:
- Wool felt in four colors
- Rotary cutter
- Cutting mat
- Quilting ruler
- Straight pins
- Embroidery floss in a color that contrasts with your felt
- Embroidery needle
- Thread and sharps needle
- Assortment of buttons
1. With a rotary cutter and mat, cut eight 2 x 8-inch strips of felt each in two of the felt colors.
2. Lay out one color felt strip and the other color on top. Make sure all corners match and pin together.
3. Blanket-stitch around all four edges of the felt strips. To blanket-stitch, knot embroidery thread and bring the needle to the front close to the edge of the felt, catching just the bottom layer of felt in the needle. Bring the needle back down 1/4 inch diagonally through both layers and catch the thread so that it loops under the needle. Pull tightly and repeat, bringing the needle back down 1/4 inch diagonally through the felt. Here's a good tutorial for you.
4. With tailor's chalk, draw a simple meandering line on the top of the strip for the napkin ring. Cut five or six simple leaf shapes from green felt. I used two different colors. Pin the leaves in place off the chalkline.
5. Thread a needle with three strands of embroidery floss and sew a running stitch over the chalkline and into each of the leaves. Brush away the chalkline.
6. With a sharp pair of scissors, cut a buttonhole about 1/2 inch from the edge and centered on the napkin ring.
7. Sew a button 1/2 inch from the other edge and centered on the napkin ring.
8. Repeat for the eight other napkin rings. If desired, use different colors of felt and embroidery floss and different buttons for each ring.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery
Dare to Make It! Holiday
We dare you to make your own gifts and decorations this holiday season!
Find inspiration and exciting how-to projects to get you through the holiday season in DIY style.