How to Make a Roll-Up Tool Organizer, Complete with Embroidered Size Labelscomments (7) December 20th, 2008
Here's the perfect accessory to make if you have small hand tools without a home. Tired of looking for your 3/8-inch wrench? Or maybe you're tired of looking for someone else's? This tool roll is so quick and easy to make, you can whip up one for yourself and one for all your crafting friends in time to stick them under the tree. Don't be put off by the machine-embroidered size labels if you don't have an embroidery machine; you can label the pockets by writing the sizes using a Sharpie marker!
If you do have an embroidery machine, use the built-in numbers to stitch them out. My good friends Sue and Dan suggested this project to me when I was trying to come up with the perfect guy craft last week. I had already started the cozy baseball cap headband, but I loved this idea, too. I got on the phone with my dad to see if he needed one of these to organize his wrenches and he spent the next half an hour explaining the differences between his two sets-one being metric and the other in inches. Somewhere in the conversation I interjected, "Yes, Dad, I know. There's 25 mm to an inch" (I think he was impressed!). Anyway, I told him I was making a leather tool roll, and I would embroider the sizes on the pockets so he could organize one of his sets of wrenches. I wrote down the details and got off the phone. Not two minutes later, he called me back to say that he thought I should make one out of canvas or denim to make the project more user friendly. I thought this was a great idea...so I made two, one leather and the other denim. There are slight differences in the steps because you don't have to finish the edges of the leather. No matter which one you choose to make, your tools will be very happy!
|Get more on embroidery:
• How to Embroider a Greeting Card
• Embroidery Term: Topping
• The Last Stitch: How to Finish Your Hand-Embroidery
• How to Turn Photos into Embroidered Portraits
You can customize the size of this project to fit your set of tools. You will need the length and width measurements of the smallest and the biggest ones. You will also need to know how many tools there are in the set. I am making a tool roll for a set of wrenches with the smallest wrench being 5 inches long and 1 inch wide. The largest is 9 inches long and 1-1/2 inches wide.
Here's what you'll need:
- One 14-inch x 18-inch piece of leather (if you are making yours out of denim, you need a 28-inch x 18-inch piece)
- One piece of leather (or denim) that is 18 inches wide and 2 inches shorter than the longest tool in the set
- Two 14-inch pieces of leather, twill tape, or grosgrain ribbon for the ties (I used 1/2-inch-wide strips of leather for both)
- Leather or metallica needle, size 14 or 16
- All-purpose polyester thread
- Heavy topstitching thread
- Embroidery machine with built-in numbers, tear-away stabilizer, 505 Temporary Adhesive Spray, embroidery thread
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery