How to Make Heart Sachet Setscomments (10) December 25th, 2008
Sometimes the best gifts are simple luxuries, things you know people want but would never buy for themselves. A set of these heart sachets is the perfect gift for any lady who appreciates the good things in life, plus it's another great way to use up all those fabric scraps from bigger projects!
The scent of lavender has been used throughout history to cure headaches and tension and is naturally soothing and relaxing. I can't think of anyone in today's hustle and bustle world who couldn't use a little bit more R & R, right? Tie up a set of these with pretty ribbon for a sweet gift or, if you're feeling really generous, wrap up these sachets with a gift certificate to your local spa.
What you'll need:
Makes three sachets
- Scraps of cotton fabric (you will need three per sachet)
- 6-inch x 18-inch piece of linen
- Fabric and paper scissors
- Straight pins
- Pinking shears
- 6-inch piece of cardstock
- Tailor's chalk
- Sewing machine and thread
- 3/4 cup lavender
- About 3 cups rice
To assemble the front of the sachet:
1. From the fabric scraps, cut one 3-1/4-inch x 6-inch piece and two 3-1/4-inch x 3-1/4-inch pieces.
2. Pin and sew the two 3-1/4-inch pieces together with a 1/3-inch seam allowance. Iron the seams to the darker-colored fabric. You will now have two pieces. Pin and sew the two pieces together to make a roughly 6-inch square. Iron the seams toward the darker fabric.
3. Repeat to make the other two sachet fronts.
To assemble the sachet:
1. Cut the linen into three 6-inch squares.
2. Fold the piece of cardstock in half, trace a heart shape, and cut out with paper scissors. Trace the heart onto the linen pieces with tailor's chalk.
3. Pin one linen and one patchwork piece together right sides out.
4. Set your sewing machine to a straight stitch and sew around the heart shape, leaving 1-1/2 inches unsewn for filling.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to assemble the other two sachets.
To fill the sachet:
1. Mix 1/4 cup of lavender with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of rice (depending on how full you want your sachets to be). Insert a funnel into the unsewn part of one of the hearts and pour the rice and lavender mixture into the sachet.
2. Machine-sew or handsew the opening shut.
3. Use your pinking shears to trim the excess fabric all the way around the sewn heart, taking care not to cut into the seams.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 to fill the other two sachets.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery
Dare to Make It! Holiday
We dare you to make your own gifts and decorations this holiday season!
Find inspiration and exciting how-to projects to get you through the holiday season in DIY style.