Upcycle Ugly Buttons into Pretty Coasterscomments (11) January 21st, 2009
Make a Flower-shaped Coaster Out of Crocheted Buttons
I have a button-collecting habit, and I have it bad. But inevitably I get lots of not-so-great buttons with the desirable ones when I buy button lots. I can't help but hang on to them, thinking I'll do something with them...one day. It was when I was looking at some crochet cotton I acquired from my grandma and thinking of bottle-cap trivets (like this one) that I came up with the idea to use my buttons instead. You can definitely make this with bottle caps too-but for me, that would mean buying a lot of glass bottles (which aren't recyclable in my town) just to get the caps. For me, this was the perfect solution.
|Get more crochet projects:
• How to Edge a Napkin (or Anything Else) with Crochet
• How to Make a Reversible Swiffer Sock
• How to Crochet a Rug out of T-Shirts
• How to Make a Pet Bed from Recycled Sweaters
- Assorted size 10 crochet cotton thread or other lace-weight yarn
- Seven 1-1/8-inch to 1-1/4-inch buttons per coaster (if you want to change the size up, see my tutorial on covering buttons)
- Size D, 3.25-mm crochet hook
- Yarn needle
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery