How to Make Dangly Earrings with Magazine Pagescomments (18) September 29th, 2015
Faced with the challenge of making recycled projects for every week this month, I have been learning to look at my trash in a whole new way. If bowls can be made with gift wrap and mosaics created from old credit cards, surely there must be millions more things to reinvent.
The cool thing about opening your mind to these ideas is you really start thinking about how to take a material and rework it in so many ways. So I started thinking about paper jewelry: I have made lots of paper beads before, but there must be different kinds of paper beads and new ways to manipulate paper. I created these earrings while playing around with that idea. The paper rings can be made in any size you desire. You can even make them into rings!
For more cool paper jewelry, check out Diane's amazing coiled paper pendants!
What you'll need:
- Magazine pages
- Decoupage glue (or watered-down white glue)
- X-Acto knife, ruler, and cutting mat
- Small paintbrush
- Craft glue
- 6 inches of jewelry chain
- Two 6mm jump rings
- Two earring wires
- Needle-nose pliers and wire cutters
- Two different size round objects to roll magazines around (I used a large, thick Sharpie and a smaller pen)
Make the magazine rings:
1. To make a ring, place a magazine page on the cutting mat, and cut pieces that are 1/4 inch wide, running down the length of the magazine page.
2. Roll the end of the magazine strip around the marker, and brush a small amount of glue on the strip to secure. Continue rolling the strip around and adding glue to secure as you roll. Allow to dry. I made three rings per earring. The largest ring is rolled around a large marker and has four rolled magazine strips, the medium-size ring is also rolled around a marker and has three rolled magazine strips, and the smallest is rolled around a pen and has three magazine strips.
3. When the ring is dry, you can carefully pull it off the marker or pen and brush around the outside and inside with decoupage glue. Allow to dry and repeat for one more coat.
Make the earrings:
1. Take the largest ring and glue it to the medium hoop with craft glue as shown in the photo above. Allow to dry. Glue the smallest ring to the top of the medium ring as shown and allow to dry.
2. Cut the 6-inch piece of chain in half with wire cutters. Open a 6mm jump ring with your pliers, and slide the jump ring onto one end of the chain. Bring the chain through the middle of the smallest ring, and slide the other end of the chain onto the jump ring.
3. Slide the earring wire onto the jump ring and close the ring.
4. Repeat for the other earring.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery