How to Make a Kitty Hat (for Humans)comments (10) September 30th, 2016
If you are a cat lover and a lover of wacky hats (like me!), you can use this design for yourself, but you can definitely downsize it to a kid's hat if that's more appealing to you. Make it with button eyes, appliqué nose, and embroidered mouth like I did, or mix up the techniques and make your hat your own.
- A sweater to cut up (it can be felted, but it doesn't have to be)
- Sewing machine
- Buttons, with needle and thread
- Scrap fabric for appliqué
- Embroidery floss or yarn and needle
- Any other embellishment materials you want to use
I used a sweater with only a small percentage of wool and mostly synthetic fibers, which means it does not felt. If you are using an all-animal-fiber sweater (like wool), you can felt it first to thicken it up and keep it from unraveling. Because this hat is made with the sweater bottom edge as the hat bottom edge, and the cut sides are sewn closed, you don't need to worry about nonfelted sweaters unraveling.
|Find more upcycle projects:
• Make Hats from Recycled Sweaters
• Make a Vest from an Old Pullover Sweater
• Make a Recyled Dog Sweater
• Make Snuggly Slippers from Old Sweaters
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery
Whether you are creating a costume, designing decorations, or building your very own haunted house, find the inspiration for all of your Halloween needs here.
If you create your own costume, be sure to enter it in the Threads Halloween Costume Contest, before 11:59 p.m. EST, November 1, 2016 to win great prizes from OttLite and Threads.