How to Make an Apple-Print Tote Bagcomments (22) August 21st, 2012
I don't know about you, but I am much more likely to remember to bring reusable totes to the grocery store when said totes are cute and fashionable. This tote bag is printed with real apples and embellished with a little bit of appliqué and bright fabric handles. Hang your new tote right by the front door, and I guarantee you will never ask for paper or plastic at the store again!
What you'll need:
- Two or three apples with stems
- Sharp knife
- Plain canvas tote bag
- Fabric ink
- Sponge or spongebrush
- Press cloth and iron
- 1/4 yard cotton fabric
- Small scrap of a contrasting cotton fabric
- Small piece of fusible webbing
- Fabric and paper scissors
- Sewing machine and thread
- Seam ripper
• Make Simple White Paper Flowers
• Make a One-Pattern-Piece Reversible Sunhat
• How to Recycle Magazines into Jewelry
• Make a Mosaic with Your Old Plastic
How to print the tote:
1. Cut an apple in half with a sharp knife. You will use the side with the stem attached.
2. Insert a piece of cardboard into the tote bag so that the ink doesn't bleed through.
3. Brush the apple half with ink (don't forget the stem!), and firmly press the apple onto the bag as desired. Continue to make your pattern. If you want to change colors, you will need to use another apple.
4. When the ink is dry, place a press cloth over the bag and press to heat-set.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery