Designing a Vinyl Clutchcomments (4) January 27th, 2010
by Christina Loff
excerpted from CraftStylish Restyle, p.78
There’s no better way to make something unique than using recycled materials — you spend (and waste) next to nothing. So, when a friend who knows of my love for reusing gave me some leftover vinyl that was on its way to the dump, I jumped at the chance to fashion something out of those old banners. After all, it just takes a little sewing-machine know-how and a few simple instructions to whip up something fabulous and help make our world just a bit greener.
I used wall decals to adorn this project because the images and texture match the clutch material nicely and give the finished product a gritty, urban feel.
What You'll Need:
• Hook-and-loop tape
• Measuring tape
• Sewing machine
• Vinyl from an old billboard, banner, or street sign (ReadyMadeMag.com, UrbanOre.ypguides.net, Scrap-sf.org)
• Wall decals (WhatIsBlik.com, One-UpDesigns.com)
Stuck on Vinyl? To find vinyl, ask local shops or companies if they have any billboard or other vinyl-like material they’re no longer using.
Sew using 1⁄4-inch seam allowances unless otherwise specified.
1. Cut the vinyl. You’ll need four rectangular pieces of vinyl: One that’s 13 inches by 21 inches for the body; another that’s 7 inches by 4 inches for an inside pocket, and two that are 6 1⁄2 inches by 5 inches for the sides. You’ll also need two, 3-inch-long pieces of hook-and-loop tape.
2. Sew the border. Fold over 1⁄2 inch all around the edges of the largest piece of vinyl. Use clips of any type to hold the fold closed. Then sew the border down, starting with the long sides. This creates a finished edge.
3. Fold the clutch. Fold the largest piece of vinyl in equal thirds. This gives you a back, center, and front flap. It should look like an envelope.
4. Create the inside pocket. Place the inside-pocket piece in the center of the section that will be the inside back of your clutch. To attach it, edgestitch around the bottom and sides of the pocket.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery