How to Restore a Lamp Shadecomments (8) January 20th, 2010
Got an old lamp shade that has seen better days? Instead of tossing it in the trash, salvage the lamp-shade form, and remake it to suit your style. With a little creative know-how, you can do away with a lackluster or damaged cover and create a new cover in any fabric or design you like.
All you need is a lamp shade with a wire frame, some fabric and a few basic sewing supplies. You could buy new fabric, but with so little required (depending on the size of your lamp shade), this is the perfect project for leftover fabric. Or, you can even use coordinating fabric scraps and piece them together.
What You'll Need:
• Hand-sewing needles
• High-temperature hot glue gun
• Seam tape
• Sewing machine
• Thread to match
• Wire-frame lamp shade
Optional: Decorative trim
Prep and drape your lamp shade
Before you begin, measure the distance between the side spokes of the lamp-shade form. If it is the same distance all the way around, you can drape just one section of the lamp shade. If not, you'll need to create a pattern for the whole shade according to the individual measurements.
1. Remove all of the fabric from the lamp-shade frame with scissors.
|Find more home decorating ideas:
• How to Make a Woven Button Coaster
• Applique a Throw Pillow
• How to Crochet a Rug out of T-Shirts
• How to Make a Custom Clock
2. Wrap the spokes of the wire frame with seam tape. Using a hot glue gun, apply a drop of glue to attach the tape to the frame.
3. Drape the lamp shade to create a pattern. Drape a piece of muslin over the lamp-shade form, and pin to fit the frame in one panel area. Use chalk or a marking pen to trace the spokes that form he panel shape onto the muslin.
4. Use the pattern to cut out the fabric and lining. Remove the muslin from the lamp shade, and add seam allowances: 1⁄4 inch at the sides and 1 inch at the top and bottom. Cut out the pattern. Using the pattern, cut out as many fabric and lining panels as you need. The lamp shade shown required six panels.
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery