How to Make a Felted Bird Mobilecomments (7) September 18th, 2008
There’s something sort of mesmerizing about a mobile; the way it swings and sways in the air is very calming. Mobiles may seem like they are hard to make, but you can always start with something easy like this one made to resemble a flock of birds in flight.
This simple felt mobile can be made in a half hour and is a perfect baby shower or housewarming gift. If you don't like birds, consider leaves, fruits, elephants, hearts, or stars. Really, anything with a shape that looks good in silhouette is up for grabs!
What you'll need:
- Branch from your yard
- Tailor’s chalk
- Scraps of wool felt in assorted colors
- Fabric scissors
- Craft glue
- Circle hole punch
- 4 yards of yarn
1. Print out the bird and wing template and cut them out with paper scissors. Trace onto cardstock and cut that out, too.
2. Trace the wing and bird body templates with tailor’s chalk on different colors of felt. For five birds, you will need 10 bird bodies and 10 bird wings.
3. To assemble the birds, glue together one bird body to a different-colored bird body. Glue a wing onto one side of the bird body, then flip the bird and glue another wing on, matching it up with the wing on the other side. Do this for all five birds.
4. Punch a hole in each bird body.
5. Cut yarn in the following lengths: 6 inches, 10 inches, 14 inches, 8 inches, and 5 inches. Then tie the yarn to the branch in that order.
6. Threading the yarn through the punched holes at the top of each bird, tie all five birds to the mobile. Trim the yarn as desired.
7. To hang, cut three 1-foot pieces of yarn and tie to three points on the branch. Bring all three pieces of yarn together and tie in a knot. Determine how much yarn you need to hang the mobile and cut one more piece of yarn. Tie the yarn to the center knot and hang.
You're finished! Now you have a lovely handmade mobile to hang in your home or give as a gift!
After you make this project, show off your work to other members!
Post your project in the gallery